Monday, September 19, 2011

Cole's Birthday Present

I know I left you all in suspense over Cole's birthday gift, so here it is! 

This is Somerset Plantation, the former family home of Cole's great-great-great -grandfather, Dr. Daniel Cain.  Dr. Cain was a notable man in Charleston's history and an early faculty member of the Medical College of South Carolina, what is now MUSC. The house was built in 1827. His brother, William, owned Somerset Plantation until the land was acquired and flooded by the Santee Cooper Project. See details on my previous blog post A Magnolia Day. I was able to borrow this photo from a sweet lady in Cheraw, SC. It was actually colorized in the early twentieth century and used as a family Christmas card by William Cain. The original photo was very small, but I was very pleased with the work of Rick Rhodes Photography and Digital Imaging here in Charleston. He was able to bring out some of the color and detail that I thought would surely be lost in an 11 X14 print. 

I bought the frame from Michael's and am so excited that there is FINALLY a craft store in Charleston County!


2 comments:

  1. Cool story! Michaels has been in Chas for years! There is also an AC Moore right around the corner from it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't thinking of North Charleston as Charleston County, but I guess it is! It is about 30 minutes away, so I consider it "out of town" :). I can't believe this is the first one in Mount P.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...