Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Magnolia Day

Whew! This last week has been a whirlwind with school! It has been SO busy, and I don't foresee this week being much easier. I take refuge in Matthew 11:28-29:

"Come to me, all you who are weary
 and burdened and I will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, 
for I am gentle and humble in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls. 
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

And in 2 Corinthians 4:17-18:

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us 
an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. 
For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."


Since I haven't had a chance to yet, I thought I would share some things from last weekend when we had a visit from Cole's parents for the weekend. On Saturday, we went to Magnolia Plantation and enjoyed the beautiful gardens and swamp. It is the absolute perfect time of year to visit the plantations here. Warm yet not scorching; flowers yet no bugs! 



We also enjoyed a picnic on the grounds. One of the most creative wedding gifts we received was a monogramed picnic basket full of everything you would need for 2 to go on a picnic - plates, utensils, napkins, small blanket, S&P shakers, candle holder, plastic wine glasses, etc. We love it and use it often! So, if you need a creative wedding gift idea, here you go! Our picnic menu was one of my favorite recipes from my friend and college roommate Christine called "Chicken Pasta Chicken". It is perfect alternative to sandwiches because you can make it a day ahead, pack it up, and its great cold. We also had some fruit, propel (thank you Publix for the free water with my coupons), and oreos :) Yum!



Chicken Pasta Chicken
1 pkg (6 oz.) Uncle Ben Long Grain Wild Rice
1 pkg (6 oz.) Uncle Ben Herb Veggie Rice
1 box twist tri-color pasta
1/2 c. parsley or to taste
1 pkg. frozen peas, thawed
2 lbs. boneless chicken, cooked 
salt and pepper to taste
Red Wine Vinaigrette on side

Mix all together. Add vinaigrette to taste.

Hints: You can use the 90 sec microwave rice for the first 2 ingredients. (I usually get a rotisserie and pull the chicken, but you can cook chicken breasts also). You can serve it hot or cold. 

We were fascinated with the people- friendly peacocks. 




After touring the plantation house, the gardens, and the audubon swamp, we heading to Magnolia Cemetery. Here lies the great-great-great-great grandfather of Cole, William C. Dukes, and his great-great-great -grandfather, Dr. Daniel Cain, both notable men in Charleston history. Dr. Daniel Cain was an early faculty member of the Medical College of South Carolina, what is now MUSC, in the 1860s. His family also owned Somerset Plantation until the land was acquired and flooded by the Santee Cooper Project. The house was built in 1827. We have found some really cool photos and information on this place, and I wish it was still around to see! The cemetery was really an interesting side trip of the day. Many other significant figures are buried here. I recognized the names from many road, bridge, and building names all over Charleston. The landscape with big old trees on the water is also worth seeing.

Dukes was instrumental in the founding of the cemetery.
This stone is located at the entrance in memory of him. 



We ended our day with a nice dinner at the Fat Hen on John's Island. Our dinner was absolutely wonderful and I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...