Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Tomato Pie

My favorite thing about summer is the food! Fresh fruits and veggies..mmmm!! Not only are the foods much more flavorful, but they are also much cheaper and much healthier! That being said, my least favorite thing about the summer is the heat! Whew, the heat wave is here! I realized this on Saturday afternoon when Chrissie and I went to Boone Hall Plantation and Farms to pick fresh produce. I said this last summer, and I am afraid I am saying it again...I don't think I can do this heat every summer for the rest of my life. But then I think of the fresh peaches and know that we are probably in the south to stay :) Thank goodness we can easily retreat to the mountains to alleviate the summer heat! 

I am sad to say that I forgot my camera on our outing to Boone Hall, which I am aware is unacceptable for a blogger :) You will have to forgive me. Chrissie and I had a really fun time chatting and picking away! It was a nice break after my 6 day work week! 

I couldn't wait to whip up a summer tomato pie when I got home with these tomatoes. 
My vine-ripened tomatoes
Summer Tomato Pie
Yum!
We also ate and picked tons of blueberries and blackberries! Cole and I have made a variety of smoothies for breakfast with them. It is amazing how much fresh fruit can jazz up a mix, too. These blueberry muffins are Martha White's 99 cents muffin mix. Take in a 50 cent coupon, which doubles at Publix, and profit 1 cent off of the mix. Add in 1/2 cup fresh blueberries (which are very cheap when you pick them yourself) and there you have it...blueberry muffins fit for a king, easy and basically free!
Blackberry Smoothie 
Blueberry Muffins
Wherever you live, go find a local farm or produce stand, pick and purchase your favorites, and then let the flavors and smells of the fresh food inspire creative and healthy cooking this summer! Do you have any favorite summer recipes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...