Sunday, June 19, 2011

Have you ever...

ridden a camel on the beach? Probably not, and I hadn't either until our recent trip to North Africa. I have always wanted to do this and had added it to my "bucket list" since I read an article about it in a National Geographic Traveler magazine a few years ago. Little did I know when signing up for our trip that we were in for this treat too! 

Between the two weeks of clinic we traveled to one of the coastal towns in the country. It was a place of civilization and modern conveniences! We stayed in a hotel for two nights and enjoyed some R&R before another week. It is amazing how excited we all were to have real beds, toilets, and showers. Oh, the little things in life :)

I'll be honest, the ride was bumpy. Really bumpy. And we were high up. Higher than I thought we would be. My inner thighs were sore the next few days because, poor camel, I was squeezing so hard. Cole often reminded me (thank goodness I was riding duo with him) to relax and enjoy myself because we were really riding camels on the beach in North Africa. Pretty cool! 


A little nervous as you can tell
 Yes, I am wearing a skirt. But, believe me, not on purpose. My luggage was mixed in with the pharmacy supplies. How did I manage that? As if the ride wasn't interesting enough...a skirt complicated things a bit, especially the loading and unloading part. Did I mention this city is known as "the windy city"?!
Our group. Beautiful!
Our shadow
This little guy loved Cole's leg. He used it to scratch his face!

Once I got comfortable, I loved it! It was a really fun experience! There are more fun pictures of this adventure on facebook! Somehow I am having problems transferring them to iPhoto on my computer. I will leave that for another day. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...