Saturday, June 4, 2011

Greater Things

John 14: 12-14 "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You many ask me anything in my name and I will do it."

Let's take a closer look!!

What has Jesus been doing? Jesus had been furthering the kingdom of God on earth. His purpose was to reveal God so that people would know Him. Jesus did this through teaching, loving on people, his attitude, helping others, deeds of compassion, and performing miracles. Basically, He pointed people towards the Father and gave us a glimpse of the Father.

What does "greater things" mean? The "things" are things that Jesus did on earth (see above), things that resulted in transformation of lives and cultures. We are called to do greater things, which means not greater in that they are more amazing but greater because they will be wider in world-wide scope.

How can we do greater things than Jesus? Jesus was only one man here on earth, but the Holy Spirit now indwells every believer.

How can we accomplish greater things? The Holy Spirit is the one who gives us the power to do "greater things". We know this from v. 12 when it says "because I am going to the Father"= Jesus went up and Holy Spirit came down...and we know it from Acts 1:8 which says, "You will receive POWER WHEN THE HOLY SPIRIT COMES ON YOU; and YOU WILL BE MY WITNESSES in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

What does it mean to ask for things "in His name"? Praying in His name means praying in a way that is consistent with His will and character. Effective prayer must ask for and desire what Jesus delights in and what pleases Him.

Will Jesus really grant us everything we ask for? **He says YES IF they are asked IN HIS NAME. The ultimate purpose of God answering prayers is SO THAT THE SON MAY BRING GLORY TO THE FATHER. If God is not glorified, then He will not. If we ask for it IN HIS NAME, He promises that it will be answered. BUT, the answer may look different than we expect. If our desire is truly in accordance with His (that is to bring glory to God), then we will be able to submit to and be thankful for however our prayers are answered. This verse gives us confidence in prayer!!

I am left asking myself, "How do I better make my prayers in accordance with God's will and character?" It is also a challenge to evaluate my life to see if I am really living out the "greater things" Jesus commanded of me as a believer. He didn't just give me these words to reflect on or as an option, but to obey Him by responding to His command to use the Holy Spirit in me to do as Jesus did - further His kingdom here on earth!

We thank God that He chose to use us, broken and weak vessels, to accomplish greater things. We pray and trust that He will continue to do greater things in North Africa and in our own lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...