Sunday, March 27, 2011

Herb Garden

One of my favorite parts about spring it that I get to plant my herbs! As most of you know, I love to cook, and I think there is nothing better than being able to go out and clip my own ingredients. Each herb has its own flavor and pairs well in different foods. Now I make do in potted plants on our porch, but someday I hope to have a small garden with of course, lots of herbs! Last year was my first year experimenting with them, and I learned a lot! First, I planted them too late. I waited until they went on sale in the summer...bad idea. They did fine for about a month but then slowly withered with the scorching hot weather. So, this year, as soon as March came upon us and I was sure there wouldn't be many more cold nights (most herbs prefer between 50 and 90 degrees), I headed out to Home Depot! You may wonder why Home Depot, and that is because yes, Cole and I still have wedding gift cards to a few places, Lowe's and Home Depot being two of them. I believe these cards were given intentionally for Cole's "honey do's" as one of our showers was themed, but I sneak in some flowers with them every once in a while :) Secondly I learned that they each need their own separate pot and third how important the holes in the bottom of the pots are to drain them. One of my herbs from last summer is still surviving. I believe it is supposed to be long gone, but somehow it is going strong. It's the parsley on the far left in the picture below and it is HUGE. I must have done something right :) 

Parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, cilantro, and spinach leaves

Have you ever seen parsley this big?
Soon I hope to share a few of my favorite recipes using the herbs. Be on the look out! And, if you have any that are to die for, I would love to have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...