Monday, March 28, 2011

Dinner Anyone?

Salad is a staple around the Sims household. They are so fast, healthy, and delish! One of my favorites is a variation of the recipe below. I like to use baby spinach for the lettuce, feta instead of gorgonzola, and add in some dried cranberries. Yum! I also do an asian version with mandarin orange segments, dried cranberries, chow mein noodles, and chicken. 


Every time they turn out a little different, but here it is tonight!

My Salad
Toasted Pecans

The pecans are so easy to make! All you do is melt butter or margarine in a sauce pan, add some brown sugar, and then add the pecans. Sometimes I put them in the oven on broil for a few minutes so that they become a little extra crunchy.

Here is Cole's salad. We both love the crunchy topping that you see. I always keep some around to spice up a salad with. You can store this and the pecans for a while in mason jars in the frig. If you have ever eaten a salad at my house I am sure you have had it!
Cole's Salad
Here is the recipe. Its once of our family recipes. (I never use the whole stick of butter!)


Cole and I LOVE homemade dressings. We keep a few around, and this is another one of our favorites. It is best on a bed of fresh spinach or dark greens with fresh picked and cut strawberries and pine nuts. Instead of using the blender, I usually put it in a mason jar, seal tightly, and shake...much less messy!


Tomorrow is Obesity Day for Cole's class at MUSC. In honor of that, he and some friends are going to eat at Ryan's Steakhouse buffet for dinner tomorrow night! Maybe Cole's had too many salads :) At least I won't have to cook :)

1 comment:

  1. Those look like some great salad recipes! The one with the pears looks SO good. I'll have to email you my sister-in-law's Grilled Chicken Salad recipe with a homemade dressing, it's delicious and easy. Love your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...