Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Week with Diabetes

Today it starts! As part of my clinical assessment lab and diabetes management certificate, I am living with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus for an entire week. I will be taking "metformin" twice daily and injecting myself daily with basal "insulin". My blood sugar needs to be checked twice daily, both fasting and 2 hours post-prandial. I must use carbohydrate counting. My meals must be between 45-60g carbohydrates and my snacks 15g (max 2). I have to record 150 minutes of cardio exercise and 3 resistance training regimens during the week. My feet must be inspected and washed each day.

You may be wondering why in the world I am doing this, but pharmacists play a huge role in diabetic management, especially with insulin dose adjustments and lifestyle management. While this task seems a little daunting, I think it will prove very useful and help me empathize with my future patients who are struggling with this disease state. No better way to learn something than to do it myself! After one injection and one blood glucose reading, I am almost already comfortable with needles...
Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you! This might be the point where I would fail miserable... not sure I could do needles!! Ahh! I guess that's why I didn't go in that career route. :)

    Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...