Saturday, March 3, 2012

Rest for my soul...

There are a few common threads that work themselves throughout the book of Acts. This is especially good for me because I have learned that often I need to hear things more than once! One of these themes is the persecutions of Paul.  If you know anything about his missionary journeys, you are aware that they were full of physical, verbal, and spiritual hardships and battles (2 Corinthians 11:16-30). Not only do we see these persecutions, BUT the best part is the Lord continually provides Paul with comfort and rest when he needs it most. The Lord is sensitive to his needs, and when the Lord knows that Paul can't take another beating or trial, He provides rest for his body and soul... examples from Acts include Lydia's house, a furlough in Antioch, a community of believers (Aquila and Priscilla) in Corinth, letter/ words from a city that encouraged him, the literal voice of God, cities eager for the gospel and without persecution like Berea, and many more.

I have loved seeing this over and over again in Scripture. What a great reminder that the Lord does provide rest for me when I need it! Just like Paul, many times this week I felt like I couldn't do another day of class, tests, cases, etc. Just in time...I have spring break (my last one...ahh). I recognize this time as a gift of God and a sign of His provision!


"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast."
1 Peter 5:10

"Praise be to the God our Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."
2 Corinthians 1:3-5

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken."
Psalm 62:1-2

"Praise be the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens."
Psalm 68:19

"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength."
Isaiah 30:15

"My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."
Exodus 33:14


I am heading to DeBordieu with Alison, Molly, and Lesli for a restful week and couldn't be more excited!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...