Friday, March 2, 2012

My Latest Project

If you don't know this interesting fact about my family yet, you are in for a treat! My dad has a small alpaca farm in Dillon. He got the idea after one of our father-daughter trips to Peru...a little over 6 years ago now (whew...time flies!)

They alpacas spend their days grazing on the fields. They have a few acres of free range, and only eat organic grass and hay. Every once in a while Dad takes them to shows, where they have won ribbons for their looks and behavior. Each spring the alpacas are shorn...don't worry, this process does not hurt them! Their coats are then spun into yarn. No dyes are used, so the yarn color is exactly the color of the alpaca. . ..that is a good sales pitch, huh?!

We have a ton of yarn...and it needs to be sold! This week I have made labels to attach to each skein. My favorite part about the label is that the picture on each one is of actual alpaca the yarn came from. The work has paid off, literally, and this week marks our debut into the retail market. Check out Knit on Wentworth Street in downtown Charleston.

Obviously, it would be more profitable to take out the middle man and sell the skeins directly to customers. We have looked into a few ways to do this, including the Charleston Farmer's Market. They are already full for the 2012 season...can you believe it?!

Local fibers are all the rage right now, so hopefully they will sell fast!











Cute, aren't they?!

3 comments:

  1. OMG, how cute are the babies? I'm a sucker for cute animals.

    My mom crochets all the time, especially now that she has a grandbaby. I will have to get some for my mom maybe for mother's day - that's something so unique. You should totally market it for mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DON'T KNIT, BUT I KNOW JOSIE SULLIVAN DOES!
    LET ME KNOW WHEN AND WHERE I CAN BUY SOME OF THIS WOOL.

    BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS. WOULD LOVE TO VISIT THEM SOMEDAY ON A TRIP SOUTH.

    BEST TO YOU AND COLE.

    LESLIE

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN!!! I did know this ab you guys, but it's fun to see the pics and hear ab sales plans. My sis-in-law brought me an alpaca wool blanket from her mission trip to Peru and I love it ;)

    Hope you and Cole are doing well!

    Blessings- Katie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...