Thursday, December 15, 2011

3rd Annual Cup of Conversation

Exams finished Monday (yay!), and I have had the best time spending Tuesday evening late night and yesterday afternoon in the kitchen preparing to host the 3rd annual Cup of Conversation. It is one of THE highlights of my year. I love having the time to turn up the Christmas music while I cook and then get to share it with my dear friends.

I snapped photos of the food beforehand, but was too busy talking and serving to take pictures during the party. So, surprise, surprise, this post will be mostly about the food!

First off, wine. Each girl brought over their favorite bottle...and some got decorated.

The wine called for a few cheese hors d'oeuvres, of course. I used a coupon from Earthfare this week to get a FREE wheel of brie cheese. I have never baked brie before, but always love it when others do, so I gave it a try. SO GOOD! I didn't really have a recipe, but I googled a few and here's what I did:  I cut an 8 oz brie wheel in half (like a sandwich) and spread apricot preserves and agave nectar on both sides. Then, I put the sides back together and wrapped it in a thawed puff pastry sheet and flipped it over onto a greased baking sheet. It said on the puff pastry box to baste the puff with an "egg wash", which I learned is an egg white mixed with 1 tablespoon of water. I did that, and then popped it in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

This is an all time favorite, Sun-dried Tomato and Pesto Cheese Torte. I got it from one of my college friend's mom. This is perfect for a party because you make it a day ahead, so doesn't take up any of the "crunch time" right before guests arive. I make this often, but Cole had never tried it until last night. Unfortunately for him, the last 3 times I have made this one, it was all gobbled up before he got home. He was happy to finally eat this cheese torte I have been raving about.

More cheese...Southern Living's Tortellini Caprese Bites. They are definitely an easy, cheap, and festive holiday appetizer (because of the red tomatoes, white cheese, and green basil)!

Speaking of festive...I adapted my Black-Eyed Pea Dip to include both red and green bell peppers. This is a recipe of my own. I combine 2 cans drained black-eyed peas, 1 can drained corn, 1 red bell pepper chopped, cider vinegar, ranch (sometimes I used garlic ranch, other times spicy ranch, or I will use regular ranch and add garlic salt), and S&P. It's yummy and, minus the ranch, rather healthy.

Pear Chutney Bruschetta made the menu cut. I told you these are amazing.

And then, because I realized I had made the entire menu without meat (does that surprise you?!), I made some ham biscuits.

For dessert I made Lemon Curd with Raspberries and Mint, Chocolate Mousse topped with whipped cream and a ginger cookie, and assorted cakes.

This Chocolate Mousse is a family favorite. To share or not to share the recipe?! I can't decide. If I do, it deserves its own post!
 Patricia helped me decorate these!

I also enjoyed decorating the house with greenery and berries. I love challenging myself to throw together different arrangements without spending any money....just a vase, oasis, and clippings from outside. See my post here on the Christmas wreath.
I sure didn't have many leftovers, so I hope that means the food was enjoyed by all! I am looking forward to next year already!

Enough blogging for my day to dwindle the to-do list...Off to help Alicia address wedding invitations and then heading to celebrate the year-end with Cole at The Ocean Room at Kiawah!

2 comments:

  1. The food was delish Ash!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, all of those dishes look SO good and professionally catered! I'm so impressed! And I know you had a blast doing it too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...