Monday, December 12, 2011

Layered Peppermint Cheesecake


When I saw this recipe in this month's issue of Southern Living, I knew I had to try it! One of my favorite Christmas desserts is a moist pound cake, topped with homemade peppermint ice cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup. This Layered Peppermint Cheesecake sounded right up my alley. 

I cannot make a cake for just Cole and myself...bad news...so I have been looking for any excuse to try this one. A perfect opportunity came around when I was asked to make pumpkin cheesecake for the Williams' family gathering this past Sunday. Instead, I opted for Peppermint Cheesecake. I gathered the  help of my sister and mom, and we went to work in the kitchen. 

The recipe is complicated...obviously because it is 5 layers, but also because the many ingredients and time involved. My mom is a cake expert, so I wasn't worried! We made the layers Saturday night and planned to assemble the cake before serving on Sunday. The peppermint layers were to be frozen for 4 to 6 hours before assembly, so this seemed perfect. Unfortunately on Sunday morning, after a good 15 hours in the freezer, the peppermint cheesecake was not frozen...uh oh! What did we do? After reviewing the ingredients and process, we can't seem to think of anything we didn't follow exactly. Of course, Mom had the wonderful idea of making the layers into a peppermint trifle...so that is what we did! Even though it is not the masterpiece above, it was delicious no doubt!!



I can't decide if these are good or bad dessert napkins...
either way they are too funny!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...