Monday, December 5, 2011

An Anchor for my Soul

BSF has taken me from Acts to Hebrews the past few weeks. It is a HARD book, but I am trying to understand and learn it!


Hebrews 6:19 says "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf."

Just like an anchor holds a sailboat safely in position, a believer's hope in the person and saving work of Christ guarantees stability. Although a boat's anchor goes down into the ocean and is secured underneath the ocean floor, a believer's anchor in Christ reaches upwards to the heavens and is secured at the very throne of God. This week I couldn't help but think of this idea as I drove over the Charleston harbor every day. What a cool display of this analogy to see sailboats anchored in our harbor! Nothing in life is secure or sure except for the promises and hope of Christ. I am thankful my soul has an anchor in Christ, but I need to be reminded of this often because it is easy to fall prey to circumstances.

This verse reminds me of one of my favorite characteristics of God. He is UNCHANGEABLE. His being, perfections, purposes, and promises are all UNCHANGING. This truth is an ANCHOR FOR MY SOUL. This is in stark contrast to myself..my mood changes, I wear out, my days are numbered...I can find rest, hope, and security in Him, the One who doesn't change. He can always be trusted because He always keeps His word and is never moody or capricious. Isn't this encouraging?!

Psalm 102:25-27 "In the beginning You laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands. They will perish, but You remain; they will all wear out like a garment. Like clothing You will change them and they will be discarded. But You remain the same, and Your years never end."

Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus is the same yesterday and today and forever."

Psalm 9:9-10 "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you."





Where is your hope? What anchors your soul?




If Christ is your anchor, do you trust that His promises are true? Do you rely on Him for your security and significance? Are you satisfied in Him alone?

This is the theme of Molly's blog.  Click here for more thoughts on Hebrews 6:19. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...