Wednesday, November 30, 2011

DIY Christmas Wreath

One of the things I look forward to the most during the Holiday season is turning up Kenny G on pandora and decorating our home for Christmas (more on this later).

Earlier this week I played hooky from school to make a Christmas wreath! The steps are below or you can find additional ones here.

Cole's parents have magnolia trees with huge green glossy leaves in their backyard so before we left the upstate on Sunday, his mom and I did some clipping. I choose magnolia leaves, or course, because it is an iconic Southern plant and nothing else yields a more true Southern welcome...I also clipped holly, red berries, spruce, and cryptomeria for embellishment. 

Next, I gathered my supplies...wire wreath, oasis, scissors, knife, and floral wire. The oasis fits within the  wire wreath as shown in the photo. I usually wet it a bit to keep the foliage fresh. 

 Then I inserted individual leaves into the oasis. This can be done however your prefer.
Last year I only used magnolia leaves, which turned out really nice. This year, I decided to add a little extra. We will see how long it lasts. Last year the wreath held on for about 3 weeks! Other wreath ideas can be found here

2010
2011



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Hope the magnolia leaves last. Keep them misted. Gan Gan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, Me and Lily were just wondering how to make wreaths.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...