Wednesday, October 26, 2011

More Yummy Goodies

I'll be honest and say that Halloween is probably my least favorite holiday. I don't love skeletons, blood, or scary things. However, I look for any reason to "be festive" as Cole calls it and celebrate an occasion. My Halloween decorations are really not Halloween-esque, but rather Fall/pre-thanksgivng, which usually means a cute carved pumpkin. It just so happened that my trip home to Dillon encouraged me to branch out of this routine when I discovered crates full of my moms candy making tools! My mom was/is the queen of making cakes and candies. I always had the best birthday cakes, better than even my childhood imagination could conspire. My favorites were the roller skate (yes, it stood upright), big bird, and the cowboy boot of my brother's. She made it all! 

Let's just say life got busy with 3 young ones and most of her hobbies, including baking, were halted for a few years. So selfless, as always. All of the tools were boxed up. 

I decided that I wanted to shake off the old dust from the molds and learn how to make candy like hers.  No better time than 5 days at home with her over Fall Break. I am so glad she kept everything. It was so fun to go through all of her baking things, especially the molds and hear how and when she used them. Most of them had a special memory attached, like the balloons used at my birthday parties. These pumpkin molds (used below) were given as party favors at my October play party. Yes, I had a play party every month. Let's just say I got my festive spirit from my mom. Next we headed to Hobby Lobby to purchase the necessary supplies and then hit the kitchen. A few lessons learned and a few hours later and... ta da!!
White Chocolate Suckers...Notice I even made a ghost and a witch!
The white chocolate suckers I made couldn't compare to my mom's, but I think they are adorable, especially for my first shot at it!

The fun didn't stop there. We also made some other Halloween treats...
Witch Hats made from a fudge cookie, hershey kiss, and orange icing.
Ghost Cookies made by dipping nutter-butters in white chocolate.
(Marian made these!)
And, of course, fun-fetti Halloween cupcakes for Cole. 
Fun-fetti Halloween


Stay tuned for Thanksgiving and Christmas candies. Maybe I will even experiment with some of mom's cake molds.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...