Monday, April 23, 2012

The Dillon Herald

Every once in a while my parents will bring a copy of my hometown newspaper to Charleston for Cole and me. Although we love keeping up with the Dillon happenings, we usually have a good laugh because it seems there is always a car wreck that makes the front page. Don't get me wrong...it is a great paper, but there is just not a whole lot going on sometimes in a small town. Despite the car wreck on the front page this week, I was delighted to read about my grandparents in two different articles.

Papa was invited to attend the Honor Flight to Washington, D.C. As a World War 2 veteran, he was able to see the memorials that were built in his honor. What a cool experience! He served in the US Army's 102nd Infantry Division, and was a part of the unit that met the Russian Army as the armies of both nations were moving from opposite ends of Germany, clearing out the the last of German resistance in the war. We always enjoy hearing his stories and seeing his keepsakes from the war. One of the funniest stories is of my dad as a little boy. Papa came home from work one day to find an original Nazi flag hanging in my dad's window. He had gotten into his collections, and little did my dad know what it meant at his age. It came down in a hurry! Read the entire article here. We are proud of him!

The second story is of a new Prayer Shawl ministry at Main Street United Methodist Church. Ladies in the church and community gather to knit shawls for specific women and pray for them while they make knit. My dad donated alpaca yarn to the ladies, and they made the first one for my grandmother. It is gorgeous, so sweet and special. Read more about the alpaca yarn here!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...