Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What I learned from a cooking class

Katie, Alicia, Molly, and I had a wonderful time attending Coastal Cupboard's Shrimp and Grits Cooking Class. I can't imagine a better outing... time with my girlfriends, a meal that was out of this world, and some really great cooking tips!

We each had a Groupon so the class was only $10...This included shrimp and grits lunch (and these shrimp weren't just any shrimp...they were Magwood's shrimp...my favorite), dessert, two glasses of wine, time with friends, and a cooking class... now, that's a good deal!
Molly and Alicia
Katie and me
All of us with the chef
I would love to post the recipe, but I believe I could make the meal in the time it would take me to type it! I don't think I am up for it. And, I am not sure that is even kosher?!

But, here are a few tips I picked up...
1. Nuts are best kept in the freezer.
2. Grapeseed Oil Spray is much better than other cooking sprays. It is a lot more concentrated than the average olive oil ones, so you can use less, and less = healthier.
3. Wondra flour- really fine flour that you use to thicken up soup, gravy, stew, and sauces. It can be found with the regular flour in any grocery store.
4. Grits are much better when cooked with 1/2 chicken stock, 1/2 milk instead of all water.
5. Quickest and easiest way to chop a bell pepper. Check out a youtube video here.
6. The real difference between iodized salt and sea salt. If you are watching your salt consumption (or should be), sea salt is best to use because it is more "saltier" than the processed iodized salt. And again, less= healthier when it comes to salt.
7. A reminder of how much I love sweet and salty- we made a Caramel Sauce with ice cream, garnished with a pinch of sea salt. I thought about Starbuck's Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate...yum! Speaking of Starbucks, check out this interesting video here

And, a new wish list...
1. Water Infusion Pitcher I got a great deal on this one from BB&B.
1. Herb Chopper like this one.

I had a blast with you girls!!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...