Thursday, October 25, 2012

'Tis the Season...

...for spaghetti squash! For those of you who may not have heard me rave about this already, I am continually amazed at the variety (in taste, color, smell) of fruits and vegetables that the Lord creates for our nourishment and enjoyment. Spaghetti squash wows me even more...just look at these things...squash that with a touch of a fork literally turn into spaghetti noodles...so fascinating to me!

I used a combination of my grandmother JoJo's recipe, this one from the blog Two Peas and Their Pod, and my own inspiration to create this spaghetti squash dish. 

First cut off the stems of each spaghetti squash and then slice in half lengthwise. I got Cole's help with this part because they are hard to cut. Scoop out the seeds and other messy stuff inside (just like a pumpkin). I would suggest using 1 medium sized spaghetti squash for every 2 people. Brush olive oil, salt, and pepper on the cut sides and then turn over (cut side down) on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 50 minutes. 

In the meantime, make the sauce. I combined 2 T olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 onion finely diced (with the chopper that I always mention on here), 6 roma tomatoes (or any tomato) also cut with the chopper, and 1 cup mushrooms. Saute until onions become clear and sauce is warm throughout. Reduce heat and let sit on low heat until squash is ready. 

Remove squash from oven and flip over so that the cut side is now facing upwards. Take a fork and run it through the squash to form the "noodles". Spoon into dish, top with sauce, shredded parmesan cheese, and fresh herbs (basil and oregano).

*JoJo combines the squash and sauce to make a casserole dish, adds a little dry white wine, and then bakes it until heated.
*It would also be good with store bought spaghetti sauce if you are in a time crunch.
*Also, I thought it could be fun to serve the dish in the halved spaghetti squash.

So fun, so healthy, and so good! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try this recipe! Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Italian Sausage and Spaghetti Squash pie which is a weight watchers' recipe. It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...