Sunday, July 17, 2011

You have to read this book #2

My first post titled "you have to read this book" can be found here


I have just finished reading this book. 
And, you have to read it.


I can't begin to describe the depths of this book and what it has taught me. Platt made a clear distinction of the church in America today and the biblical picture of Jesus, as well as the American dream and our purpose in life. He answers, through pointing you to Scripture, hard questions like...What happens to people who have never heard about Jesus? How do I manage my money specifically? How do I gain more from dying than living? What is God's will for my life? and many more...Most of all, the Holy Spirit uncomfortably targeting me with this convicting statement, "All too often we view heaven as the default eternal state for humankind." I should let go of all my selfishness and make my life about God's redemptive plan. 


The book closes with this statement, which will give you a good sense of the overarching theme of the book. "When that day comes, I am convinced we will not wish we had given more of ourselves to living the American dream. We will not wish we had made more money, acquired more stuff, lived more comfortably, taken more vacations, watched more tv, pursued greater retirement, or been more successful in the eyes of the world. Instead we will wish we had given more to ourselves to living for the day when every nation, tribe, people, and language will bow around the throne and sing the praises of the Savior who delights in radical obedience and the God who deserves eternal worship."


Whew! I will admit that it was very challenging. There were times when my selfish and sinful self did not even want to keep reading because the truths of the gospel were very clear and convicting. So, expect this book to radically change your perspective on life, the future, and the world in which we live. 


It is a short book and an easy read!! Do it!!


Updated Summer Reading List (in no particular order)
1. Heaven is For Real
2. And the Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers
3. Radical by David Platt
4. The Moon and the Mango Tree by Pamela Ewen
5. What Did You Expect? by Paul David Tripp
6. Desiring God by John Piper
7. Let the Nations Be Glad by John Piper
8. The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis (on book 4 of 7)
9. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
10. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
11. Peace Child by Don Richardson
12. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
13. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
14. Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon
15. Operation World

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...