Saturday, July 30, 2011

Mountain Getaway

This is a delayed report from our anniversary trip! Earlier in the week, I decided to head to DeBordieu for a few days with my mom. It was so fun and relaxing and I didn't want to turn on the computer.

So, from the beach to the mountains, here is a short recap:
Here we are pulling in! 
The views are breathtaking!
We laughed at how many books and reading material we brought. Can you tell we were planning to relax?!

And we did, just as planned! We also enjoyed a long hike in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area on Saturday. We are able to hike directly from the house, which I love!!
Happy 2 years!!

On Sunday we swam in the pool! It was chilly :)


I have realized that one of the best things to do when we go for a weekend away is to plan our meals ahead. The more we can make beforehand, the less we have to do while on vacation. I pre-made a few things and then we cooked easy meals! Here is a "taste"! The first one is a recipe of Gan-Gan's, Cole's grandmother. It is a delicious and easy White Chicken Chili. I can't imagine soup in this weather here, but it is perfect any evening in the mountains. We added a dollop of sour cream and fresh slices of avocado.

1 package white chicken chili mix (I used McKormick's)
1 8 oz block of cream cheese (I used fat-free)
1 can mild Rotel, undrained
2 cans of chicken broth
2 cans of white beans, drained and rinsed (I used 3 cans)
1 rotisserie chicken, pulled apart
Mix together, heat, and viola!!

We also enjoyed wine, adorned in wedding attire! We used these on our honeymoon and I have enjoyed pulling them back out on our anniversaries! (Can't believe that word is plural now!!)

For dessert, I pre-made my cousin Sara Gayle's famous Darn Good Chocolate Cake. And, it is darn good!

1 box reduced-sugar chocolate devil's food cake mix
1 pkg sugar-free chocolate instant pudding
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup canola oil
1 and 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use the jumbo ones)
Preheat oven to 350. Grease bundt pan. Blend first 6 ingredients with a mixer. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into bundt pan and bake 45-50 minutes (or until cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger and starts to pull away from the sides). Remove and cool 20 minutes. Invert to serve.


Breakfast was Duncan Hines blueberry muffins. I added in fresh blueberries before baking.

I am already trying to squeeze in another trip into our schedules!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...