Thursday, May 10, 2012

I am alive and well!

Despite my preconceived notions from Augusta's nickname "disgusta", I am having a great time here! I am quickly adjusting to a new place and rotations, but unfortunately, blogging has definitely taken a back seat. Thank you all for your prayers for me leading up to and during this time. Although I haven't been great about responding, your texts, voicemails, and emails have been such an encouragement to me. I know a few of you are curiously awaiting an update...

Caroline's family is AWESOME. They have welcomed me as a child into their home. I am overwhelmed by their hospitality and am reminded of the story in Acts 16 where Lydia opens her home freely to Paul and his friends. I am pretty sure I live in the best place around...


Barney's, the pharmacy that brought me here, has met and exceeded all of my high expectations. I work with very smart and personable people who love to teach me! It is a huge independent retail pharmacy with a focus on patient counseling, community service, immunizations, and compounding. They also have a medical clinic with two doctors and a durable medical equipment shop that specializes in ostomy care, diabetes supplies, and mastectomy support. Barney's packs medications and consults for 1,500 long term care beds in the area as well. My days are usually 8 to 5 and consist of assisting the retail pharmacists, patient counseling, topic discussions, project presentations, and wellness classes. I even get to participate in chair aerobics and bingo with the seniors! It is a very unique and challenging environment, and I have loved being a part of it!

There is a solid Christian community at Barney's that is really encouraging to me! Not only am I learning (and relearning!) a ton of school things, but I am also seeing how the pharmacists intertwine faith and their careers. Bible verses are posted everywhere and praying with patients is commonplace. Through community service, Barney's is a leader in the Augusta community and the nation. It seems a little strange to think the route to leadership is service, but what a great picture of Christ here on earth!
Barney's pharmacy and Hope medical clinic
Wellness Classes
Georgia fans!!
 I already have 2 favorite running spots...the North Augusta Greenway and the Augusta Canal. I wish you were here, Patricia, to run them with me!
North Augusta Greenway
North Augusta Greenway
Augusta Canal 
Augusta Canal 
Augusta Canal
I MISS Cole A LOT and eagerly await the weekends when I can wrap my arms around him.



1 comment:

  1. Looks like a wonderful place to live for a month! I've never seen those parts of Augusta before. You would find the best running spots in town though! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...